Pages

Tuesday 10 November 2015

Appropriation, Objectification, Conversion, and High Holidays

By: Dominic Jones 

Following last week's lecture, here are my experiences of appropriation, objectification, conversion, and high holidays.

Appropriation:  I recently acquired a soundboard that I use for podcasting.



 
Objectification:  When I first acquired the soundboard I use for podcasting, it changed the layout of my desk.  I went from having my computer in the center of the desk, with space for books, papers, and small collectibles on the desk.  Once I got the board, I changed the arrangement so that nothing is centered on the desk.  Both the laptop and the board take up one side of the desk and now 

Conversion: The obvious example of this is the smartphone.  Now our primary form of communication seems to be through the phone, usually texting or other messaging apps.


High Holidays:  Again, this may be the obvious one but it's the one I have the most vivid memory off from when I was young.  9/11.  I remember being in grade two on September 11th, 2001 and I remember there was announcement before recess that during recess there was a mandatory staff meeting that all teachers must attend.  I remember after recess my teacher sitting us all down on the carpet.  What was extra significant was that she spoke to us in English, I was in french immersion and this teacher more so than any other French teacher I had until high school, avoided speaking to us in English whenever possible.  She told us that the U.S had been attacked and people had flown airplanes into buildings and knocked them down.  I also remember a letter was sent home to all the parents explaining that we had been told the facts of what had happened and nothing more and that it was up to them if they wanted to discuss it with us any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment