Pages

Tuesday 27 October 2015

My iPhone and Gratification

By: Dominic Jones

When asked in lecture to consider what's a technology we recently acquired and the gratification we seek from it, there is really one big answer my phone.  iPhone more accurately.  My phone checks off all the different types of gratification,

Modality-based Gratifications: Presents images, videos, sounds, and texts. 

Agency-based Gratifications: Allows for me to pick and choose what types of entertainment I want to enjoy at the moment, including music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, games, etc.

Interactivity-Based Gratifications: Allows for communication with people all over the world, via phone, text message, and various social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, etc.)

Navigability-Based Gratifications: Allows for Internet surfing, many websites can be visited in the web browser.  In addition, there is seemingly lots of choice among applications to put on the phone.

While I'm sure I'm not the only person to have written about their phone, I'm sure you can understand why.  As I pointed out above, the phone checks off the four types of gratification in a significant way.


No comments:

Post a Comment