Pages

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Cultivation Theory: Life is Just One Big 'How I Met Your Mother' Reference

By: Dominic Jones

One of the most fascinating theories we have explored in lecture is Cultivation Theory, the idea that people who watch a lot TV it tends to affect their understanding of lived reality.  This jumped out at me because I've often found myself relating real life occurrences to events from television.  One show I would often relate things to was How I Met Your Mother, leading my own mother to tell me on multiple occasions "Life is just one big How I Met Your Mother reference to you, isn't it?"

I'm slightly exaggerating for effect of this theory on me, but it still made me think about the way I view life.  I don't think I'm one of those people who thinks there more crime than there is because I like the show Arrow (or any other action show for that matter), but then again I tend to relate my own experiences (and the experiences of others) to sitcoms so who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment